Fiber - finding tips
Most of us don’t get the recommended amount of fiber we need each day. But if you know where to look, it’s easy.
Any of the delicious, fiber-rich Fiber One products for breakfast and snacks are a great place to start. Use these tips to help you find more fiber and reach your daily fiber goals.
Scan for Bran
Look for “bran,” “whole grain” and “whole wheat” on product packages and labels. They’ll help boost fiber intake.
- ½ cup Fiber One Original = 14g fiber
- 1 cup Fiber One Honey Clusters® = 13g fiber
Grab the Whole Food
Munch on the whole piece of fruit, instead of drinking a glass of juice.
You’ll get the nutrients, along with the fiber.
- 1 medium apple = 3g fiber
Savor the Skins
Eat fruits and vegetables with the skin still on. It helps increase the fiber, and provides a bonus of other nutrients.
- 1 medium baked potato with skin on = 4g fiber
Screen for Beans
Replace typical side dishes with fiber-packed peas and beans, such as: kidney, pinto, lentils or black-eyed peas.
- ½ cup canned red kidney beans = 8g fiber
Jazz up salads, vegetables, snacks and desserts with almonds, sunflower seeds or soy nuts.
Nuts and seeds add fiber and a fun-to-chew crunch to foods.
- 1 ounce roasted almonds = 3g fiber
Be Berry Wild
Add raspberries, blackberries and boysenberries to any of your cereals. They have twice the fiber of many other fruits.
- ½ cup fresh raspberries = 4g fiber
Bring on the Brown
Switch to brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, flour, and whole-grain crackers instead of regular white versions.
- 1 cup brown rice = 3g fiber
Skip the Chips
Select snacks that are a good source of fiber. Instead of potato chips, go for low-fat popcorn,
whole-grain pretzels or oven-crisped whole-wheat pita triangles.
- 3 cups popcorn = 4g fiber
Water is a healthy beverage choice—especially as you up the fiber. Your body needs more water
to help process the added fiber you eat. Aim for eight 8-oz glasses a day.
Mix it up
For an extra boost, try mixing Fiber One Cereal into the foods you already love. A little bit can add up to a big difference.
- Mix Fiber One cereal into your favorite ready-to-eat cereals or stir it into hot oatmeal.
- Garnish any delicious salad with Fiber One cereal instead of croutons.
- Stir Fiber One cereal into your favorite fruit yogurt for a creamy, crunchy delight.
- Create a unique snack mix by combining Fiber One cereal, pretzels, cereal, and seeds.
- Sprinkle Fiber One cereal over your favorite soup for some added crunch.
- Punch up brownies and cookies by adding nuts and Fiber One cereal.
- Blend Fiber One cereal into dips and serve with fresh veggies for a more substantial snack.
- Top chicken or fish, casseroles or baked veggies, with a coating of crushed Fiber One cereal before baking.
It adds for great crispy crunch.
- Add Fiber One cereal to fruit and nut trail mixes for a tasty on-the-go snack.
Related Articles & Tips